Zamfirescu Racoti Vasile & Partners’ white-collar crime team, made up of highly experienced practitioners and renowned professors, members of the Commission for the Elaboration of the New Romanian Criminal Code, is experienced in the management of complex business crime litigation, as well as advising clients on preventative measures and compliance programs designed to reduce the risk of civil and criminal penalties.
The multidisciplinary structure of the teams and the solid professional background of the attorneys at law allow us to render the highest level of legal assistance in cases relating to the quasi-totality of the common law offences or of the offences provided by special laws.
We represent both accused persons and victims of the offences at the investigation stage and at the trial stage, at all jurisdiction levels and throughout the territory of Romania: National Anticorruption Directorate (DNA), Directorate for Investigating Organized Crime and Terrorism (DIICOT), the Prosecutor’s Office attached to the High Court of Cassation and Justice (PICCJ), Military Prosecution Services, the Prosecutor’s Offices attached to the Courts of Appeal, Tribunals and First-Degree Courts, the Constitutional Court, the High Court of Cassation and Justice, the Courts of Appeal and Parliament Investigation Commissions.
We represent clients at all stages of criminal trials, including those referring to: detention, arrest, judicial control, bail, precautionary measures (precautionary seizures and garnishment of bank accounts), remedies (challenges, appeals, second appeals for annulment, challenges for annulment, reviews), non-constitutionality exceptions, challenges of the closing solutions, preliminary referrals to the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU).
We also cover cross-border cases relating to extradition, European arrest warrant, European investigation order, recognition of foreign criminal judgements.
We provide legal assistance and support directly or through the international legal networks we are part of, in cases before the European courts: the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) and the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).
The strategic advantage of the white-collar crime department resides in the cooperation with other specialized teams of the firm (tax, civil and commercial disputes, competition, banking and finance etc.), depending on the specificity of each mandate, with whom we form veritable legal task forces equipped to manage the most complex cases.
We focus on the procedures of prevention and internal investigations of the companies referring to corruption, frauds, money laundering etc. To this end, we organize trainings and workshops for our corporate clients, on prevention of frauds, fighting of money laundering and corruption.
The expertise and professionalism of ZRVP’s white-collar crime department are recognized both at national and international level, the team being recently selected by the World Bank to participate in a unique project at European level, of unification of the legislation in the criminal law area.
- Abuse of office
- Banking and capital market crimes
- Blackmail and threat
- Corporate crimes, failure to take labor security and health measures
- Corruption (bribery, influence peddling)
- Drug trafficking and trafficking in human beings
- Fraudulent management
- Fraudulent use of European funds
- Medical malpractice
- Money laundering
- Organized crime
- Tax evasion
Examples of recent work in white-collar crime include assistance to and representation of:
- A member of the Romanian Parliament and former Minister of Justice of Romania, under allegation of influence peddling, the alleged prejudice being in amount of over 200 million EUR, our team obtaining a definitive acquittal solution;
- A judge of the Supreme Court of Justice under allegation of bribery and influence trafficking, our team obtaining a definitive acquittal solution;
- A leading European company acting in the energy field in over 20 criminal procedures all over the country involving the investigation of explosions, outbreaks of fire and intoxications, causing death, harm and damages, in the context of the core business of the company – gas distribution;
- One of the leading companies that provides licensed gaming and that is considered to be one of the world’s top sports betting operators, active in over 50 countries, under allegation of tax evasion, the alleged prejudice being estimated at 380 million EUR;
- Five of the most important national and international credit institutions in connection with a litigation case regarding the annulment of the acts concluded on a disputed plot of land in the northern part of Bucharest where the biggest and the most expensive commercial center was built (the value of the lawsuit being estimated at more than 500 million EUR.
The Legal 500 EMEA, Romania: White-Collar Crime
The Legal 500 | 2019
The Colectiv File: Lawyers request the increase of claimed damages
Romania Libera ǀ 2020
Interview on the evolution of criminal law in Romania
Bizlawyer | 2019
Interview on protocols concluded between the Prosecutor’s Offices and the Secret Services in Romania
Lumea Justitiei | 2018